Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just a little road rage

The neighbor girls got to witness some mild road rage yesterday. The reason? Our road is under construction. It is closed down, blockaded, shut off. You cannot drive on the main road to our house. Our street? It's a dead end, so there is only one way in and out, and that my friends, is the closed road. The county in all their infinite wisdom, have provided us with a detour, so instead of going left from my little road and driving two miles (which takes about five minutes) to the traffic circle to get to the freeway, or Target, the grocery store, or civilization, I have to go right, drive up another street for ten minutes, then turn right again, drive for another 5-10 minutes, then turn right again, where I will go through two more traffic circles only to come back to the original one that I usually go through to get to my house.
The problem is you see, the detour road, the road to get out of my house, the road that requires an extra 20 minutes to get to what is only two miles from my house, it was down to one lane for construction as well yesterday. So not only did I have to drive 20 minutes out of my way to go those two miles, I then enjoyed sitting an extra ten minutes on top of that whilst the construction flagger allowed the cars in and out.
And thus, I seethed. I fumed, and I said things like "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, MOVE!"
The reason I was seething? It was 3:45pm, which is exactly when school will be letting out in about two weeks. Traffic was backed up for miles yesterday. There are two schools on the street I will now be forced to drive on, I have no choice. I have a job now, which requires that I drive over the bridge every day, I am going to have to negotiate this construction mess every single day.

At 3:45pm in the middle of August, it took me over 30 minutes to get to my house when I was less than a mile from it. It wasn't rush hour, school was not in session. This was afternoon SUMMER traffic.
I cannot even imagine how it will be once we add the high schoolers and the parents of the elementary school students to the mix.
This construction project is slated to go through October, but we all know how delays happen....if only I had a helicopter.

No comments: