Monday, February 25, 2008

Profanity! Part Deux.



Why do machines hate me so? What have I done to anger the industrial gods?
Why is it that every time I try to complete a project, I cannot complete said project because of the failure of a product that is in fact, created to make my life easier?
I am trying to make a baby blanket for a friend. I am in fact, trying to make three baby blankets for three friends, one of whom will require said blanket at her baby shower this Friday. All was going fine, the sewing machine was whirring away with no trouble. This was until I had to put more thread on the bobbin. For some reason, once I removed said bobbin from the chamber and put more thread on it, my machine decided it hated me and was going on strike.
I cannot get the needle to catch the bobbin thread. I have re-thread my machine oh, I don't now, like 10 times, just in case there was operator error. I just spent the last hour fighting with my machine and resorting to reading through the manual, looking over the pictures, making sure I wasn't making any stupid mistakes: nope. Everything is where it should be, and yet the stinking needle just goes up and down, up and down, whilst I hold the thread in my left hand, as I have done a thousand times before. It will not catch the thread. Why is this a problem? Well, if it doesn't catch the thread from the bobbin, this means it won't sew. Which means I am SOL. So, I have two of ummm...25 quilt or so squares completed, and I have more blankets to make.
So I am just a little incensed at the moment. And as this particular sewing machine (which is usually a total workhorse) happens to have been built in 1957, it is not like I can just call up Singer and ask for some help.
Needless to say, there have been a few profane words spoken this night.

3 comments:

Holly said...

If it makes you feel any better, that's a really good photo. (I'm assuming you took it.)

Wendy Power said...

Excellent photo, I agree.

I remember hauling my machine in to a repair shop. It had frozen entirely halfway through the angel costumes for the Christmas play, and I was in a complete panic. It just needed the sewing machine equivalent of a lube-oil-filter, and they didn't even charge me for the teaspoon of machine oil they used to resurrect it from the dead. An older machine sometimes means it's easier to fix. Don't give up yet!

The Family said...

If only my camera could help me thread a bobbin, then I'd be all set.