As you may have seen on the news, we are having a major storm. Well, I just call it a regular storm, since we've had the same size storm, with the same-size damage every year we've lived here. Regardless of these facts, the the local news stations insist on interrupting my regularly scheduled programming about every 10 minutes to tell me that it is still raining and the wind is still blowing at hurricane-speeds outside, and another street is under water, and another mudslide has happened.
Let me be clear, it is truly horrible for those people who have lost their homes in the storm and or mudslides, and I feel very, very bad for them.
But it is the Pacific Northwest, and we do live in a a rain forest, so I'm not sure why we always act surprised when it rains and urban areas begin to flood. This is also how I feel about people in Florida who don't expect the hurricanes, but I digress.
So, anyway, we bought a cute little coat for Evie at the Nordstrom anniversary sale this summer. We bought it big, anticipating she'd need it in the winter months. It's pink, fuzzy, very warm, and we got if to $15. What we didn't anticipate, (and how this slipped our minds, I will never know) is the fact that the warm fuzzyness is not conducive to Pacific Northwest rainstorms. So when we departed to the grocery store this weekend, I had her bundled in her regular clothes, with a little beanie hat and hoodie, and then the pink fuzzy coat over the top of it. From our porch to the jeep in the driveway, she was soaked. The fuzzy coat has absorbed the rain like a little pink sponge.
I have subsequently been on the hunt for a coat for her, which apparently does not exist. We don't have an infant-carrier car seat, we just have a regular car seat, where we physically put her in and out of the car. She seems to enjoy it, and it works out great for us. Apparently however, most folks just put their babies in the infant carriers, and then cover it with the little plastic rain shields made accordingly.
But what about the babies who don't sit in those things? Do they not need water protection? I even searched at REI, thinking, surely they'd have something incredibly overpriced that would work. Nope. Nothing for kids younger than 12 months; this has been true for every baby clothes store I've found. Apparently babies 12 months and younger don't go outside in the rain. I would usually just use a blanket, but we live in the Pacific Northwest, it's going to be raining for quite while now, I don't want to have soaking, soggy blankets every time I need to go to the store or the doctor's. And so, the great coat hunt continues. I fear I may have to go to the fabric store and fashion one for her...but that sounds like just way too much work, and something that would require a lot of profanity.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
3 comments:
Okay, if you do fashion one, may I suggest just making a poncho with a hood out of water resistant fabric. It would be way easier to cut out and sew and ponchos are chic and in fashion. I know I am a genius.
We had a similar problem, we ended up shopping at LLBean online. They have a rain coat for 6-12 months. It worked pretty well for our 5 month old. Good Luck!--Tali
Lands' End has baby coats too, but the price seems to indicate that the waterproof layer includes a thin sheet of pressed gold leaf. They often have kids' stuff on clearance, though, super-cheap.
Post a Comment