Thursday, July 24, 2008

Employed

I got the call this morning, I have been offered (an I accepted) a job as a 7th grade social studies teacher.

The position is half time this year, as my counterpart will be completing his administrative internship; however the position will most likely transition to a full time position next year, which is obviously just perfect for me. I'll be able to transition from being a full-time mommy to a teacher, but instead of going from 0-60, I'll be able to ease my way back in and I'll have a counterpart to work with and share the load for my first "official" year.

I also won't have a full schedule which means I won't have a full schedule of student homework and projects to grade, something I will very much appreciate as I am still yearning to enjoy my daughter's toddler days.

When the principal called, my neighbor and I were chatting in the front yard about whether or not I thought I was going to get the job. I had the phone with me, and so I told her to hang on a second...the principal started the call by stating "thank you for interviewing, we enjoyed meeting you, we had several strong candidates..." my heart sank, I have heard that line before and it always ends with, "and while you were a very strong candidate we decided to chose somebody else..."

Instead he said, "and because you were such a strong candidate, we would like to offer you the position."

I was so excited, I started silently jumping up and down in the front yard. You can imagine what happened next. I was jumping. Up and down. On an uneven surface. that's right sports fans. I have a new injury.

But my new boss doesn't know, because I played it cool. I thanked him, told him I would like to accept the position, he was happy to hear it and told me I would receive my contract and paperwork shortly. We chatted a few more minutes and the conversation ended.

Meanwhile, I was hobbling around like an idiot. My neighbor just looked at me trying to determine what was going on. I told her I got the job, she cheered, we hugged and then I winced.

After several hours of icing and elevation I went to the doctor, who determined I have a serious sprain if not a tear of the tendon; I'm now wearing a boot. I'm supposed to be on crutches, but because of the arm injury, crutches are out of the question. And so I hobble, because I'm cool like that.

At least I have a job, which should come with benefits; we already have insurance but it seems more could be necessary.

2 comments:

zachori said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! ...on the job, not the injury!

twinmommy said...

Well done you!!!