Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pure Nonesense

Last night I saw a teaser preview for the new movie "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor." While I enjoy a wide variety of films, I must admit I do enjoy a good action flick based on pure nonsense and the Mummy franchise is no exception. In fact, we own both the first and second installments in the Mummy series. I love Rachel Weisz, I enjoy looking at Brendan Fraser, I find their witty and silly banter very entertaining. I love that the Mummy movies are similar to the old-fashioned black and white adventure movies, with ridiculous plots, slapstick antics and yet they still have the cool new special effects of all the summer blockbusters.

So when I saw the preview, I became very excited. My excitement soon changed to disappointment, however. Why? Because there will be no Rachel Weisz.
She has bailed from the project reportedly because of script issues.
Have they just cut her role out and moved on? Noooo. They've replaced her with Maria Bello. What?!?

You can't have two movies in a series and then up and replace the main character with a different one in the final installment. Especially when the main character is a very perky, brunette English woman with lots of curves and you replace her with a thin, blond, Italian-American woman who is known for her "attitude."

This would be like replacing Carrie fisher's character, Princess Leah, with Goldie Hawn...it's not going to work.

While I will still rent the film out of pure curiosity, I'm absolutely convinced that it will most likely be garbage.

There is a movie I will be renting that I am convinced will entertain the socks off of me however, Morgan Spurlock's new documentary, "Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden." This my friends, looks absolutely hilarious.

No comments: