He seems to be doing much better today. Other than some localized soreness on one side where they had to work really hard to get the tooth out, he says he's not really all that sore. He's currently sitting in his jammies, doing work stuff on his laptop, so I'd say we're off to a full recovery.
Evie and I are going to do a little Christmas shopping today, I'm bringing her floppy seat for the cart and some of her linkey rings to chew on. I will try to be more kind and gentle if/when publicly chastised for letting her sit up at her age.
Speaking of linkey ring toys, I learned a valuable lesson about them last night. If you give Evie a pretty long strand, and she's sitting in her command station, (in which the seat can spin 360 degrees,) The fun linkey ring toys can quickly become infant toy of death. Understand that when I put the linkey rings on the toy, I did think, "this might be a little long," but then I thought I'd just put them there and see what happened. She's never played with them before, and I assumed there would be a time of inspection prior to self-asphyxiation. Apparently, not with my kid, who immediately grabbed, stuffed a couple connected links in her mouth, and started to turn- quickly, creating her own little colorful plastic noose in the process.
I immediately shortened the strand, so now she can only turn a few degrees while holding on.
Now she sits, linkey rings in hand/mouth and begins spinning, only to get caught. She then yells and smashes her linkey rings against the command station, as if to punish them for her lack of progress. I'm hoping she will soon figure out that she can let go, turn and then hold them again. Otherwise, I worry about her problem solving skills.
Well, I don't really worry. After all, according to the old women at the grocery store, she shouldn't be doing anything but laying on her back, so I suppose getting hung up with linkey rings is okay. I have to remind myself that just because she's standing, (and jumping, and spinning) in her excersaucer now, this doesn't mean she really has control over her body quite yet, and well, cognitive skills are still being developed. I can't wait for the day when she does have control over her body, but lacks the judgement to make good choices. This is how we found my brother Travis on top of the refrigerator at 10 months old.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment