Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Conflict Resolution

Tonight Evie decided to flex her "muscles" by throwing a fit when bedtime came.

I told her it was time to get ready for bed, she said, "NO!"

I scooped her up, walked up the stairs with my screaming child and took her into her room to begin the process of changing her into her jammies.

I took off her jeans and shirt, she screamed; I remained silent.

Then, I grabbed her jammies and proceeded to put them on.

She on the other hand, had other ideas and tried to fight the jammies.

I was in no mood for arguing over jammies with an 18-month old, so I continued (I am in fact bigger than she.)

And while we fought, I also enjoyed talking to her during the process:

Evie: (screaming and flailing) "noooo!!!!"

Me: "It's jammie time, you need to stop (I tell her as I place her arm in the sleeve.)

Evie: (fighting) "Nooooo!!!!"

Me: (now the legs being placed in their slots,) "We can either do this the easy way or the hard way, but it's going to get done."

Evie: (Glaring, thinking about fighting,) "No Mommy!"

Me: (As I zip the jammies shut)"Life is tough little girl, it's best you get used to it."

Evie: (Sitting there, no longer crying, calmly.) "Boddle?"

Me: "No baby, you already had your bottle tonight."

Evie: "Wrraaaa!!!!"

Me: "Oh please, you are being so dramatic and you don't even have any tears!"

Evie: (Stops crying. Blink. Blink) "Boddle?"

Me: "Nope, sorry."

Evie: "Waaaaa!"

Me: "Stop crying, you need to brush your teeth."

Evie: (Crying stops. I set her on the edge of the counter in front of me and hand her the toothbrush. She happily takes it and brushes, bouncing on the sink and humming. I then help her brush until all the toothpaste has been sufficiently rinsed or spread around.)

Me: "You know, Evie, not a minute ago you were a screaming goon, and here you are, happy as a clam. I find this highly ridiculous, my dear."

Evie: (Smiles and continues playing with the toothbrush in her mouth.)

Me: (Lifting her off the counter) "Okie, dokie, all done. Time for night, night."

Evie: (Going limp, starts crying again) "Noooooooooo!!!!!"

Me: "You are beyond unreasonable, goodnight baby, I love you."

And with a kiss, I placed my screaming child in her crib. I closed the door without ceremony and walked out of the room; she was asleep before I hit the stairs.

1 comment:

twinmommy said...

Sounds like someone's becoming a Love and Logic expert. Good for you!