Friday, September 19, 2008

Stepped right into that one

Each week we have a new "grammar of the week" topic in my class for our 5-minute opening routine. The kids work on a few quick questions/problems on the board after they enter the class while I take attendance, etc. It gets them right down to business and gives me a minute or so to take care of any clerical/management issues before I start teaching.

This week, we were working on nouns.

Scene: (Remember, I teach 7th grade)

Each student has a piece of paper with two columns. On the left side is a list of "common nouns," (restaurant, movie, city, etc.) On the right side are two blank lines for each common noun, they are to write down two "proper nouns."

For example:

Common Noun: Restaurant Proper Nouns: Olive Garden, Taco Bell

This list is from the teacher's workbook, I did not create it.

On the list for common nouns is the word "ballplayer."

The students ask, "Mrs. Scott, what is a ballplayer?" Many are asking, so I decide to answer them all as a collective class. I announce,

"Folks, if you are raising your hand because you are unsure what a ballplayer is, a ballplayer is an athlete."

A student then raises his hand, "can it be any athlete?"

"No," I say, "only one who plays with balls."

Yeah. Stepped right into that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap that is so funny....don't you just love 7th graders.

sara

twinmommy said...

I did something similar when student teaching in the 6th grade! We were lining up for recess and some of the kids were bouncing those red kickball balls... wait for it... wait for it... and I said, "Please hold onto your balls!"

*sigh*

Yeah, I walked right into that one, too.