Evie awoke from her nap today in a bit of a mood. Although she had slept for almost two hours, she was crying uncontrollably. I brought her downstairs, and the cries turned into a whimper. I layed her on my lap and tried to feed her, and the crying started up again, which is unusual, especially after she awakes, when she is usually ravenous. I put her on my shoulder, and she went back to a whimper. I couldn't decide if she was just cranky or there was really something wrong. Her bottom lip was out in a very sad pout, and soon the whimper escalated to a blood curdling scream. I had just changed her diaper, so I knew that wasn't the problem. As I walked the floor, holding her against my chet, the screaming continued, and I started to worry. Don't get me wrong, she can pitch a fit as well as the best of them, but this was no ordinary fit. I tried laying her back down, and that made things worse. I grabbed her little hands to pull her to a standing position, something she usally loves. This time however, she went crazy. Her face turned bright red, and she screamed like I was stabbing her. I looked down at her hand, and I discovered the problem. One tiny thin thread had come loose in the sleeve of her jammies. She had somehow hooked her index finger in the loop of the thread, and it was pulling, digging into her little hand. I immediatly tried to pull her finger out, but it was stuck. I reached up into the sleeve, and grabbed a hold of the thred and pulled it loose. Meanwhile, Evie was screaming as loud if not louder than she did when she was born.
I rubbed her little hand and tried my best to console her, but it was another 10 minutes before I got her to settle down. She now has a line and a welt between her index and middle fingers, and I feel horrible.
Her jammies are actually a University of Washington "sleep and play" outfit that I bought at Target (see below.) Stupid, cheap piece of crap.
I have since investigated for more loose stiches, and haven't found any, but I will now be inspecting her clothes with dilligence.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
4 comments:
Poor little Evie. I've also heard of babies getting hair wrapped around their little fingers, just FYI.
Oh, poor baby!
She gets cuter every day.
Good detective work, Mommy. And as far as your post about the parking lot goes...that also drives me CRAZY!! Disability is a good reason for waiting for a close parking spot. Laziness and selfishness are not. I would venture to guess that waiting 10 minutes (while blocking other cars and rushing someone else) to save yourself walking 15 feet is an American phenomenon. Grrrr
All the books on parenting infants list that as a source of possible crying, but you just don't think to look for that thread wrapped around your baby's hand until you happen, for whatever reason, to see it. We've all been there, and all have yelled at the shoddy craftsmanship (or lack thereof) of the clothes we put on our kids. Hang in there... luckily, babies heal quickly and soon that welt will be gone. You'll remember this experience much longer than Evie will.
Post a Comment