I need a sign for the stroller. A really big, really assertive, really official sign that hangs from the front of the stroller. Something like they have at the zoo on the cages/fences of the animals that will probably bite you if you stick your hand inside to pet or feed them.
I need a sign that says, "Do Not Touch the Baby," I need something that will get along the gist, I don't touch you, so please don't touch me. You know, like the "We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool" signs.
Usually, I carry Evie in the Babyhawk when I go into stores. I find it far more conducive to my shopping experience, as I can easily push a cart (we don’t have an infant carrier/car seat, so we have to hold her or put in something when we go places.) However, after the whole vomiting debacle the other day, I was relegated to pushing her around in the stroller while shopping. No problem for her, she enjoys her stroller. The only problem for me is, that when in her stroller, she becomes a big rolling target for people to glom on to her, get in her face, and smear their germy fingers all over her little person. This leads to my becoming rude and sometimes a little violent as I forcibly pull the stroller back from said attackers, while still feigning a smile through gritted teeth.
Don’t get me wrong, I understand her allure, she is quite beautiful and small, and so kissably soft, that it’s tough to resist a little squeeze. Brad Pitt shares many of the same qualities however, and I assure you that I would resist giving him a pinch. Why is it that people think that it’s okay to just come up and touch a baby? Without asking permission? I’m not trying to be completely overbearing here, but PLEASE DON’T TOUCH THE BABY…I DON’T KNOW WHERE YOUR HANDS HAVE BEEN!
Now it’s one thing if you are family or a close friend. I know you, and know that you don’t have scabies, or lice, and that you washed your hands after using the restroom…I hope.
But if you don’t know me, then you are a stranger. We all know that talking to stranger is a no-no. The same is true for touching. You may look, you may coo, you may smile and comment. But please, do not touch! The baby won’t bite, but I might. Thank you.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
6 comments:
I totally agree! It happened all the time with Maddox, it got to the point that if someone tried to stop me, I'd act like I was in a hurry and just keep on walking. I also hated it when I was pregnant and everyone thought it was "cool" to touch my stomach.
Amen, sister! And the same goes for people, out of the blue, patting two very cute, very blond boys on the head and exclaiming, "Wow! They're so blond!"
Um, duh. I can see that, and as I happen to be the person who gave birth to them, I know exactly where that blond hair came from. But you, Stranger, do not need to touch my children.
This used to drive me bonkers when my kids were babies. Even if people touched their feet (sticking out from their infant carriers in the grocery cart) I'd loose my mind.
I think a sign is perfectly acceptable in this case!
Carrie
I almost always felt the same way about being belly-groped when I was pregnant. Eww.
people are so rude it is the worst at the dr. they think that just because it is a baby and they MIGHT have one to they have to touch. i was shopping the other day and i swear people can't leave sky alone if it is not touching it is telling you what is going on with your kid. sky was acting KINDA fussy and some lady looked at me laughed and said "well some one is getting very tired" i wanted to tell her how do you know whats going on with my kid!!! in stead i just said yea and walked away.
man these crazy people.....
sara
I just found your blog after going to the grocery store with the stroller for a couple of things. This lady grabbed my 5 month old's hand to say "hi". I am furious and also feel like a bad mom because I apparently can't even turn my back for 2 seconds! Of course he dives in to suck on his fingers RIGHT AFTER. My pediatrician said I could use hand sanitizer on him, just to let it dry before he puts his hands in his mouth again. Furthermore EVERYONE knows that we have a measles outbreak going on here in Wisconsin. It is SO SELFISH. YOU need a baby fix so you put MY child at risk. I am even irritated if relatives come in from outside and don't wash their hands. COME ON! I AM going to make a sign and "laminate it" with packing tape. I don't care what a nut people think I am. . . AT ALL.
Post a Comment