Saturday, November 29, 2008

G Rated?

Is it just me or have the Disney animated movies taken on a new level of sophistication? And no, I don't mean they're smarter, I mean they are no longer meant for children, really.
Rockstar-led soundtracks, adult dialogues, violent fight scenes and story lines, these movies are great for the parents, but I find myself not wanting to let my daughter see them.

For example, on our trip home from Wenatchee, Bryan changed the standard Elmo DVD out for the Disney movie "Cars," to see if little miss would like it.
She was quickly enamored by the music and the characters; what kid doesn't love talking cartoon cars racing around?

All was fine until the hero, "Lightning McQueen" shouted that he was in hillbilly hell.
Funny ineed, but not a phrase I expected nor wanted to hear from the mouth of an animted character in a g-rated cartoon.
Now I am certainly no prude, anybody who knows me, knows I appreciate the use of ALL the words in the English vernacular.

However, I believe there is a time and a place for certain words and phrases and a g-rated film is not, in my opinion where I want to hear "salty" language, especially as these are the movies allegedly aimed at my daughter and nephew's demographic..
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

zachori said...

I completely agree! I made a big mommy mistake a while ago and rented a Justice League movie for my older boys without checking the rating, it didn't even cross my mind. Then as Superman and the "bad guy" were fighting, they both started cussing, turns out it was PG-13 and I should have known better. At least I was there to turn it off. But like you said, the ratings don't mean much anymore and Disney has really fallen into this problem.