I'm now on a new medication and I'm not sure that it is going very well. I've been officially diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder instead of post-partum depression. I'm on anti-anxiety medication and am seeing somebody to try to gain some insight as to why I am being afflicted with anxiety now, but never before (that I know of.) I am also trying to develop some tools to help manage the anxiety, this way I won't have to be on the meds. permanently.
The trouble of course is finding the correct medication and the correct dose. This is not an exact science, and there is no way to get a serotonin level, short of dipping into my brain (no gracias) so we have to just play around until we get the correct mix. In the meantime, I contend with the effects, and of course these aren't minor effects.
The first medication I was on sent me into a black abyss of exhaustion and sleepiness. I felt like every ounce of energy had been leeched from within and I had to quite literally drag myself down the stairs and force myself to function. The minor task of walking across the room, making a bottle etc. felt like a 5-mile run. All I wanted to do was sleep and I had the added bonus of feeling nauseous at all times.
I'm now on a different medication and have quite the opposite effect. Now I feel like I can't turn my brain off at all. I lie in bed flopping and flopping, unable to stop the obsessive thinking. The bad thoughts pervade and it's like a running transcript day and night, night and day.
While I am not physically tired, I am starting to feel an emotional drain. Everything is analyzed and over-analyzed to the 10th degree. I can't turn off the tapes, and the more I try to suppress the thoughts or feelings, the more they bubble up.
And so now I feel a grey cloud starting to descend over me and I find myself sitting and staring, lost in my thoughts.
Even Bryan has noticed, often asking "Are you okay? you were just spaced out there for a little while..."
So I don't think this is the correct medication either.
I have an appointment this afternoon with my doctor and we will be having a long conversation, because this is no good, and frankly, I don't have time for these shenanigans.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment